Wednesday, August 30, 2006

8-30

Today in Class:
- Marie and Hannah brough Lomars donuts and we all walked into Kakos' class and ate them in front of them
- We made an illustration describing who we were, just with markers and paper in class, to hang up for back to school night.
- Got our "Who Are You" college essays back
-Continued reading in Oedipus

Homework:
-Pick your favorite of the three essays that we have written so far to bring to class on Friday. You should bring it on a jump drive if you have one, or through email. On Friday we will be assigned laptops and we will peer edit them in class. If your not fond of any of the essays you've written so far, you can write a 4th essay on your own topic. If you need help on choosing a new topic, see Smith in her office where she has a book full of ideas!

Oedipus Notes:

Today, we started reading on page 27 where the chorus speaks.

-Chorus: represents the feelings of the citizens of Thebes

-The Chorus is doubting the genuity of Tiresius; is it possible for one man to know more than others? Why has Tiresius been the chosen prophet?--"Zeus and Apollo, it is true, understand and know in full the events of man's life. But whether a mere man knows the truth- whether a human prophet knows more than I do- who is to be a fair judge of that?"(pg. 28).
- The Chorus is unsure on what they want done or who they really believe: "I cannot agree with him, nor speak against him. I do not know what to say. I waver in hope and fear; I cannot see forward or back"(pg. 28).
-We noticed that they raised alot of good questions which shows that these people are
well educated

When Oedipus and Creon start talking, the reader can see alot of the major differences between Oedipus and Creon and what kind of people they are.
-Creon is much more bold and more of a man; he knows that he did nothing wrong and he says that he is willing to stake his life on it: "If you find that I conspired with the prophet Tiresias, then condemn me to death, not by a single vote, but by a double, yours and mine both"(pg. 34).
-Creon tells Oedipus if he is going to talk about him and threaten to banish him and accuse him of playing a part in the murder, then to say it to his face rather than behind his back to all of Thebes: "But do not accuse me in isolation, on private, baseless fancy. It is not justice to make the mistake of taking bad men for good or good for bad" (pg. 34).
-Creon says "When I dont understand something, I keep quiet"- he is the second person along with Tiresius to tell Oedipus to stop talking and listen
-In all of this, while Creon is staking his life on the truth, all Oedipus could do is accuse Creon of playing a role in the murder, he wasn't really that interested in hearing what Creon had to say
-Creon's last sentence foreshadows what is going to happen later in the book:"...Time alone reveals the just man- the unjust you can recognize in one short day"
-Creon may be beginning to believe that Oedipus has something to do with the
murder? Creon knows that in time, people will see that he is innocent because he
knows he's done nothing wrong; Maybe he is saying that soon, all of Thebes will
recognize that Oedipus is the murderer

Tragic Hero Qualities from pgs. 27-34

1. Paranoia- When Oedipus is talking to Creon he goes on and on about this complicated plot that Creon and Tiresius must have put together to bring Oedipus down, he is absolutely convinced that the two of them are in on this together and that they are determined to overthrow Oedipus as King: "What did you take me for when you made this plot- a coward? Or a fool? Did you think I wouldn't notive this conspiracy of yours creeping up on me in the dark? That once I saw it I wouldn't defend myself?"(pg. 30). He continues to talk about this conspiracy to Creon and how he knows what they were trying to do, when there was no conspiracy!

2. Creating a scapegoat- Tragic heroes always try to find someone else to pin the blame on, to keep from thie own self destruction. In this case, Oedipus has to at least be considering that he might have murdered Laius, and he knows that Creon and Tiresius are and yet he is blaming them and trying to banish them.
-

2 Comments:

Blogger Matt W said...

I find it interesting that tragic heroes tend to blame a scapegoat. They are so involved in removing themselves from the picture that they lose all sense of responsibility. I tend to find that in my own life I sometimes am afraid to admit that I have a "tragic flaw", for example: procrastination. In my attempts to blame others and outside sources for my faults, I show a complete lack of responsibility. My pride keeps me from acknowledging the true source of my downfall. The very moment I allow myself to remove my pride from the equation, I can clearly see my problem for what it is, and begin to fix it. The true nature of a Tragic Flaw involving hubris is that the Tragic hero is blinded (mentally, not physically like Tiresius) and cannot see his flaw. It's because he cannot see it that he cannot fix it. He spends his time trying to fix the flaw (which he cannot), instead of fixing the source of the flaw: His pride. We can learn an exorbitant amount of life lessons from Oedipus' downfall. In layman's terms, we can use Oedipus as an example of "What NOT to do" in our lives.

August 31, 2006 9:26 PM  
Blogger annes said...

And that is so much of how all literature should be. What can we take away from it to apply to our own lives? Learning not to kill your father and marry your mother isn't the intended message rather it is do we try to place ourselves above others feeling as though we are untouchable. What do you guys think?

September 01, 2006 2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home